Hill Peterson Carper Bee & Deitzler PLLC

Available 24/7

Call: 800-797-9730
Hill Peterson Carper Bee & Deitzler PLLC

A Skilled Team Of Personal Injury Attorneys

Motor vehicle accidents: Steps to take after a collision occurs

Being involved in a collision can be a stressful and unnerving experience. Unfortunately, motor vehicle accidents can take place at any given moment, and dealing with the fallout of a collision can be intimidating. While individuals in West Virginia might not be able to predict how and when an accident will take place, they may be able to prepare for one by gaining an understanding of the steps to take should a collision occur.

One of the first steps to take after a motor vehicle accident is to remain at the scene and check on the well-being of everyone involved. If necessary, the next step is to seek medical attention and notify authorities. Once police arrive at the scene, they will investigate the incident and fill out an official report, and obtaining a copy of this report may be advisable, as it could prove useful in the future.

Once able, a person could consider taking down notes of the events leading up to the incident, and if witnesses are present, consider obtaining their statements and contact information. Following an accident, each driver may find it advisable to exchange only what is necessary, such as contact and insurance information. If a person suffers injuries in the accident, it is also advisable to keep a detailed record of all medical treatment following the accident.

When another party is at fault, those who suffer serious harm in motor vehicle accidents may also wish to know about the next steps to take to pursue restitution. Those who face a similar situation could choose to speak with a personal injury attorney for guidance on how best to approach the situation. An attorney in West Virginia can examine the incident, along with a client’s injuries and financial needs, and assist him or her in pursuing the full amount of compensation deserved through the necessary outlets.

FindLaw Network