Hill Peterson Carper Bee & Deitzler PLLC

Available 24/7

Call: 800-797-9730
Hill Peterson Carper Bee & Deitzler PLLC

A Skilled Team Of Personal Injury Attorneys

Seeking compensation for medical malpractice victims

Medical malpractice can leave a patient facing unexpected medical problems and requiring extensive and costly medical treatment. When a West Virginia resident has been harmed by a health care provider, there are certain steps that can be taken to both hold the negligent party responsible and claim deserved compensation. A medical malpractice claim may be a daunting prospect for a victim or family already facing difficulties, but, by understanding the process, some fears associated with the legal action may be alleviated.

Proving that a nurse or doctor was negligent can be difficult. A patient must prove that the quality of care provided is less than what would have been given by another practitioner. When dealing with the health issues of a West Virginia patient, even a simple mistake can have a long term impact. After suffering from this type of negligence, the first step is to seek legal assistance from a personal injury lawyer. 

Various parties must be informed of a medical malpractice case, including the doctor and the licensing board. The doctor will have the opportunity to explain what happened and perhaps offer additional treatment free of charge to rectify the problem. There are time limits on malpractice claims, making it essential to contact the necessary parties and evaluate the validity of a possible claim as soon as possible. 

Medical malpractice cases may be settled out of court, but a claimant should be prepared for a legal battle in case this is not possible. As with all types of personal injury claims, the actual process can be overwhelming, but a victim has the right to assistance and guidance from a legal ally. Medical mistakes are an unfortunate reality, but victims may be able to recover both physically and financially. 

Source: Findlaw, “First Steps in a Medical Malpractice Case“, Accessed on Feb. 4, 2015

FindLaw Network