Hill Peterson Carper Bee & Deitzler PLLC

Available 24/7

Call: 800-797-9730
Hill Peterson Carper Bee & Deitzler PLLC

A Skilled Team Of Personal Injury Attorneys

Car Accident FAQ

The days, weeks and months following a serious car accident are difficult to navigate alone. When you or a loved one are injured, you are likely to have many questions. At Hill, Peterson, Carper, Bee & Deitzler, PLLC, we are here to guide you every step of the way.

Below are answers to common car accident questions you may have. For advice on your specific case, schedule a free consultation with our attorneys. We represent injured car accident victims in Charleston, Parkersburg and other areas throughout the state. Call 800-797-9730 today to make an appointment.

What Should I Do After Getting In A Car Accident?

  1. Seek medical attention. If you or a passenger are injured, get treated as soon as you can. Call 911 to report the accident, and stay in place until emergency personnel arrive.
  2. Move to a safe location. If the accident occurred in the middle of the road, you should move to the shoulder when you are able to.
  3. Exchange your information with the other driver and any witnesses. Write down the name of the other driver, their insurance provider and vehicle model. Ask any witnesses for their contact information as well.
  4. Document the scene of the accident. Make sure you get photos from multiple angles, so you can capture the scene in its entirety.
  5. Contact an attorney. The sooner you obtain legal advice, the stronger your case will be. An experienced attorney will handle all the details so you can focus on getting back on your feet.

Who Pays For Medical Bills After An Accident?

At first, you will be responsible for your own medical expenses. Your auto insurance and health insurance policies should both help cover the costs of your treatment. Some doctors and medical providers may also agree to take their payment out of your injury settlement or verdict. Once your case is resolved, you will receive compensation to reimburse you for the care you received.

What Happens If I Caused A Car Accident? Do I Have A Claim?

If you believe you are partially at fault, you may still be able to file a claim. West Virginia law allows victims to recover compensation as long as they are found to be less than 50% at fault for the accident. When you sustain serious injuries in a car accident, it is always worth consulting in an accident attorney to discuss your case further.

How Long Do I Have To File My Car Accident Claim?

West Virginia has a statute of limitation of two years for most car accident cases, meaning you must file your claim no more than two years after the date of your accident.

This is different in some situations. For example, if you lost a loved one in an accident, you have two years from the date of their death to file your wrongful death claim (as opposed to the date of the accident itself). Always reach out to an attorney as soon as possible to be sure you file your claim in time.

What Should I Do If The Other Driver’s Insurance Company Calls Me?

After your accident, you should notify your own insurance company of the incident. But if the other driver’s insurance company wishes you speak with you, you should decline until you have an attorney present. The other driver’s insurance adjuster may try to get you to admit guilt, claim you were not injured, or accept an offer that is well below one you truly deserve.